Is it normal to have lumps after lip filler? Check this post for expert analysis on why you are having lumps after lip fillers and the best lip filler treatment aftercare tips.
Lip filler surgery is becoming more and more popular nowadays, especially hyaluronic acid lip augmentation surgery.
Hyaluronic acid is the most common type of filler and HA lip filler treatment is the most popular dermal filler injection.
It is to inject the right amount of hyaluronic acid fillers, the most common and popular types of dermal fillers, into the treated area, which can not only effectively support the sunken lips, but also increases the volume of the skin, help the skin store moisture, lock the moisture and so on, making the lips look fuller and plumper with a natural result.
In order to have sexy fuller lips, those women whose lips are naturally thin and dry choose to do hyaluronic acid lip augmentation, but some women find lumps after the treatments, so they worry if it is the after-effects of hyaluronic acid lip augmentation?
Or is it because of the doctor’s injection technique? What should you do to avoid or reduce the potential side effects and get the best final results they want?
In this post, we are sharing everything you should know about having lumps after the lip injections, one common side effect of lip filler treatments, including the reasons, proven effective aftercare tips to reduce the other side effects and common complications of these aesthetic procedures, and more.
Why is there a lump?
1. The molecular weight of the hyaluronic acid brand
If you choose ultra-small molecule or small molecule hyaluronic acid, generally speaking the possibility of hard lumps is very low. It is one of the safest injectable dermal fillers.
If you choose medium or large molecule hyaluronic acid, then the possibility of hard lumps is very high, because the molecular weight itself is different, in terms of the tissue infrastructure of the lips is very soft, if you play especially hard hyaluronic acid, the possibility to have lumps is very high.
2. It is related to the doctor’s injection method and technical level
If the injection is too shallow, it is easy to leave hard lumps.
But if the injection is deep, and after the lip filler injections, the shaping is done effectively, then the possibility of leaving hard lumps is very low.
Is it normal to have lumps?
It is normal to have small lumps after this dermal filler treatment for the the first few days up to a couple of weeks after treatment, because when the hyaluronic acid is just injected to the injected area, the hyaluronic acid has not yet fused with its own tissue, so it will feel a little bit hard.
After it is completely absorbed, it can be effectively and naturally softened.
The exact length of time varies from person to person.
If the injection time is long and there are still hard lumps, then you need to go to the hospital to seek help from an experienced injector.
What should I do after a lump appears?
The hardening of the lips after hyaluronic acid lip augmentation is usually due to the fact that the injection of hyaluronic acid is closer to the mucous membrane layer of the lips, causing uneven pressing and local hyaluronic acid accumulation.
This situation from the lip filler procedure has more to do with the doctor’s injection experience and technology.
If you choose a regular plastic surgery hospital and use regular hyaluronic acid before, this situation will disappear on its own.
And if the lips become hard, you should book the follow-up appointment as soon as possible for the initial treatment, find the hard nodes from inside the lips and press them to get the best results. This is the best course of action.
In person consultation is best to prescribe an adequate treatment; you should probably seek a second opinion at this point.
The sooner you find out that your lips are hard after hyaluronic acid lip augmentation, the higher the chances of success of reshaping.
What are the other side effects after lip filler treatment?
The side effects of this plastic surgeon have a very low chance of occurrence overall. But since it is an injectable treatment, the body does undergo a small healing process around the injection site. So we will talk about some common cases for lip filler treatments below.
A reminder: If you find that you have the following symptoms, consult the doctor as soon as possible.
1. Severe pain, swelling, lip filler bruising and redness
Due to factors such as injection puncture injury, product pushing too fast, local firm massage after injection, etc., the lip injection site produces transient post-injection pain, swelling and redness, which will occur in almost most cases.
Lips have loose tissue and rich blood supply, so swelling and bruising can easily occur after injection and massage.
They are prevalent side effects of lip fillers and happens when the larger blood vessels in the lips are punctured.
2. Lip tenderness and motor function are limited
After the lip injection treatment, due to the lip swelling of the injection site and the anesthetic contained in the filler, there will be transient symptoms, such as the decreased sensation of temperature to external objects, insensitivity to lip touch, restricted lip closure with drooling and slurred pronunciation, etc.
They usually recover gradually within a few hours and do not require additional treatment.
3. Lip vascular occlusion and tissue necrosis
This is an extremely rare but very serious complication.
Early local ischemia is usually manifested as pale lip surface with significant pain, and late stage manifests as pain, erosion and ulceration.
The risk of occurrence is related to sharp needle injection, excessive injection volume, and excessive pushing pressure.
4. Quick-onset allergic reaction
Also known as type I allergic reaction, the allergen may be bacterial or animal-derived proteins in the production residue of the injected product.
If the patient has a previous history of allergy to hyaluronic acid-like substances, it is possible to have a rapid allergic reaction after receiving hyaluronic acid filler injection again.
The main manifestations are extensive skin congestion, edema, erythema, as well as itching and pain, etc.
Severe systemic reactions can lead to shock.
5. Bacterial or viral infection, cold sores, Herpes Simplex Virus
The lip tissue is rich in blood supply, and infection rarely occurs with filler injection.
Relatively common viral infections can be manifested as local discomfort, round ulcers, yellowish film covering the surface and swollen jaw lymph nodes, etc., which usually appear within 24~48h after injection.
In addition, due to the large amount of bacteria in the mouth, there is also a possibility of bacterial infection after filler injection, which mainly manifests as pain, nodules caused by inflammatory irritation, edema or abscess.
Best Lip Filler Aftercare Tips
Hyaluronic acid lip augmentation is a modern very safe and effective non-surgical injection method that can help you shape sexy full red lips in a short period of time.
However, the effect of hyaluronic acid lip augmentation injection will be affected by some external factors, and post-operative care is one of the factors that cannot be ignored.
Any damage caused to the lips is usually by the poor technique created by the person doing the injections
The following care tips need to be taken after lip augmentation treatment, which can reduce the potential complications and get optimal results.
- Avoid sauna one week after this cosmetic procedure with hyaluronic acid injection.
- Avoid touching the injection area for 24 hours after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injection in order to allow the shape to be fixed.
- Avoid doing strenuous exercise and high temperatures for a short time after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injection in order to facilitate the swelling of the lips; Elevated blood pressure and heart rate from exercise may make swelling or bruising worse. Once abnormal symptoms are found in the lip area, you should go to the hospital for examination and treatment in time so as to avoid the occurrence of after-effects;
- One week after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injection, try not to touch your lips when you eat, to avoid the loss of hyaluronic acid due to eating too cold or too hot food.
- Maintain the general basic maintenance procedure for lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injection, and do not massage on the treatment area in particular.
- Try to avoid taking aspirin or other similar blood-activating drugs for one week after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid injection, or follow the medical advice from your medical professionals.
- After lip augmentation surgery, pay attention to more rest and do not make exaggerated movements of the lips in your daily activities, such as laughing, to avoid as much as possible the movement of the lip prosthesis, which may cause the post-operative effect to be out of shape.
- Avoid wearing lipsticks and any other makeup on your lips. If you have an important event to attend and you have to wear makeups, plan it smartly ahead.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol can act as a blood thinner, which can make you more susceptible to bruising and swelling. Again, wait 24 hours before consuming alcohol.
- After 48 hours of lip augmentation surgery, if the treatment areas are dry and free of exudate, it can be gently washed with water, and a bath can be taken only after two weeks.
- If you have bruising at the injection site, it may help to apply aloe vera, vitamin K, or arnica cream. We also suggest you check with your health professional.
- Within two weeks after the surgery, the best option is to take a liquid diet as recommended by the surgeon and do not touch hard food on the lips.
- Apply ice to your lips afterward using an ice pack or an ice cube covered in a thin cloth. This cold compress will help ease swelling, itching, bruising, and any other pain. But don’t apply ice for too long.
- Those who have the habit of smoking should refrain from smoking until the wound has recovered, as this is not conducive to recovery process.
- Drink plenty of water. Eating goods that are high in Vitamin E is also a good idea to reduce the recovery time.
- The best way is to consult your doctor after the lip filler treatment for more aftercare instructions.
Can you kiss after lip filler injection?
You should not kiss immediately after lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid. This is because kissing will expose the lips to external force, which is not conducive to fixing the shape of lip augmentation.
You can kiss 8-14 days after hyaluronic acid lip augmentation, but please note that kissing should be done in a gentle way to avoid punching.
After 8-14 days, the body has completed the basic repair, needle marks and excessive swelling will disappear, so it is acceptable to kiss in a gentle way under the premise of avoiding much pressure, so women should tell their men not to kiss too fiercely.
So the second question, is there any feeling in kissing after hyaluronic acid lip injection?
After hyaluronic acid lip filler treatment, kissing will still have the same normal touching feeling as before.
Hyaluronic acid injection does not affect the sensitivity of the lips and generally does not produce allergic reactions, so kissing after hyaluronic acid lip filler treatment will still have a normal touching feeling.
How long can the lip filler result last?
There are two kinds of lip augmentation methods, hyaluronic acid lip augmentation and autologous fat injection, and their maintenance times are different.
Under normal circumstances, the maintenance time of hyaluronic acid lip augmentation is about six months, while the maintenance time of autologous fat filling is about eight months to one year, which is slightly longer.
The maintenance time of both is not exactly the same, and the length of maintenance time is related to individual differences, the amount of filling, personal protection and life habits, and other factors.
If you only have a small amount of fillers and the protection is poor, the maintenance time can be about three months, while for better protection and more filling, the maintenance time is usually about eight months.
Therefore, how long lip filler results can last has a certain relationship with the amount of lip filler and personal protection.
Reminder: There are many brands of hyaluronic acid or any other lip fillers, but you must choose a professional hospital and a professional doctor to perform the operation to ensure safety and effect, especially for the first time.
Incorrect technique and unprofessional environment are the main reasons for side effects for the majority of cases.
This post was all about is it normal to have lumps after lip filler.